Sunday 19 July 2009

Dungeness 18th July



I intended to write this yesterday but I sort of ran out of energy and desire to type anything...sorry.


I know I didn't climb the lighthouse but in my defence my legs have been a little wobbly over the last week and I don't handle failing at anything to well at the moment so I decided it was far easier on me not to put myself in that position and I would be perfectly fine!


On the drive to the lighthouse I had all sorts of problem s finding it! I saw water towers and the Wind Farm...it was only when we saw the Power Station that I finally picked it out! Whilst driving we became rather aware how windy it was, but when we parked and I tried to open the car door it became extremely obvious how strong the wind was. And I hadnt tied my hair back so I was soon aware it was going to be an 'ouch' day as I could feel it teing itself in knots within the first few seconds!


I managed to get a 'before' picture (including on with Dave facing the wrong way - maybe poised to make a run for the stairs!) and then tried to find a seat out of the wind! My original intention was going to be to yell abuse once the lunatics had scaled the Lighthouse, but with the strength of the wind I doubt I could have made myself heard form the ground. Not that a mere fact of height and windspeed stopped the Lunatics from making themselves heard!!



This was basically a Bat preparing for flight. I'm grateful he changed his mind but also intrigued whether he would have made a dent in the ground as if didn't feel damp or soft to me!

Once the Bat returned to terra firma it was decided lunch was required so we retired the The Britannia Inn where they seemed unable to cope with small people...but she has very organised parents who had a large car with all possible equipment that cuold be needed stored in it! The food was good, although I'm not sure it was cod rather than whale fillet from the sheer size of the portion!

After lunch it seemed sensible to stop off at the LIfeboat station...it would have been rude to simply drive past and to be honest it brought back good memeories of family trips to Cromer when I was litle and visiting the life boats both on ahore and at the end of the pier. This is one charity I always feel the need to support as without them so many people would die at sea. Which feels so wrong to me as historically we are a sea going nation...


Yesterday was a great day for me, we got out, the weather was wonderful and I was with some really fantastic friends. It wasn't an expensive day out but it was totally enjoyable for me and I felt wonderful all day. What more can I ask for?

No comments:

Post a Comment