Sunday 30 August 2009

In Hospital.....AGAIN!!!!


Well I’ve now been stuck here since Wednesday and they earliest they are likely to let me out is Tuesday next week…


I was originally sent in by my GP because of a blood test that was done on Monday – the original diagnosis from her was Temporal Arteritis, but apparently I’m not old enough for that as I haven’t reached 55! The treatment is very high doses of steroids which make you pile weight on so I’m quite happy she was wrong!!


I started off on Bethersden which is the female CDU ward before being moved up to Cambridge M2 on Wednesday evening. Luckily I have a side room so it’s just me in here with a window that opens and a nice fan….Why on earth are hospitals so bloody hot???? If anyone wants to visit I’m in room 141 and quickly going insane!!!


Thursday was fairly uneventful, got prodded by a few Drs and on attempted to take some blood before giving up and deciding to leave it to an expert! The plan for Friday was another MRI and then a lumbar puncture – it’s safe to say by the time Andy left on Thursday I was pretty far into my panic zone… I hate needles at the best of times and the thought of one going into my back left me completely terrified. It’s safe to day I didn’t do much sleeping on Thursday Night and after 2 mugs of hot chocolate and one of horlicks, I finally fell asleep at about 2.30 – 3.00. The vampire turned up fairly early to collect my blood, on Thursday the 1st yr Dr had only tried to collect 3 bottles of blood, the phlebotomist collected 11. I’ll admit to feeling very proud I didn’t pass out but I didn’t half feel wobbly after it. Mid morning I was wheeled down to MRI, where they tried to get a canula into my arm and failed so called a Dr whilst sending me off for a chest X-Ray (I have no idea what that was for!)


Once the Dr arrived a needle was basically inserted into the base of my thumb and I was stuck in the machine. I don’t care what anyone says the noise alone of the MRI machine terrifies me as well as being stuck in a small (to me) tube. I think they did 2 scans, one just of me and the other with a contrast – haven’t really heard much from that yet,but it was mentioned this morning that I am going to have yet another on on Tuesday probably!! And I am so looking forward to it…. Anyone believe me yet?


Today the food hasn’t been too bad, I had roast chicken, stuffing roast potatoes and cauliflower and really enjoyed it, certainly compared to the Irish Stew yesterday which I have a feeling even Barley would have refused to eat! On Friday Mum & Dad fed me, salad , prawns and salmon…I was in heaven!! This evening I have salmon and pasta salad and a prawn sandwich courtesy of Andy, so I won’t starve today!!!If I’m honest the headaches have worsened today, I’m on as many painkillers as I can have just to keep going – but one of the painkillers just makes me want to sleep and I’m trying to fight that as I’d much rather sleep at night than during the day. We have been for a short walk to get some fresh air and I got to talk to some of the intrepid Bat Campers… amazingly they sounded relatively sober! Something must be really wrong if they are!!! Maybe I should go and find that cute bloke who did my lumbar puncture… that could kill a few hours!!! There is something about scrubs it seems…

1 comment:

  1. I absolutely agree about the noise of the MRI. No one had warned me about that. I had seen them on TV but I never heard the awful commotion that goes along with it. Having to keep so still for all that time doesn't help either. Dear Heather, I do hope you soon feel better. I am looking forward to seeing you soon.

    ReplyDelete