Wednesday 14 April 2010

14 April - update

I’ve been meaning to write for the last couple of days to be honest, but in the evenings I’m simply too tired to try to string words together that make any sense! Not that I make much sense on most other posts…


Yesterday was a scan an ante natal clinic morning…add into it yet another blood test for the diabetes team and I was at the hospital from just after 9.00 until just after 12.00. Not really how I wanted to spend the morning but essential for the growing bump. The blood test was my first port of call (trying to beat the blood clinic and my scan wasn’t until 10) I was in my ‘it’s my blood and you can’t have it mode’ and it took 2 of them to find any blood to take…but 3 holes later and yet another bruise on the back of my left hand and it was done just in time to head over to the X-Ray reception and then dash down to Foetal Medicine for my 28 week scan.

For once I had a successful scan – no problems identified and the fact we’re having a boy was confirmed…so I don’t need to change my paint choices thank goodness! He is growing just fine, not to big and weighs just under 3lbs apparently. I’m quite amazed how they work that out and it will be interesting to see how accurate it is! We did get 3 new photos of his face in profile – he’s rather too big to all fit on one photo now!

After the scan it was back to the clinic where I did notice the list of Drs on duty was rather short compared to most weeks…just 2 of them! I passed my notes over as usual and waited to be called by the midwife. Rather nerve racking if I’m honest as they do blood pressure and check for protein which was where I had the problem last time. My Midwife has suggested they are using the wrong size cuff when they test my BP, and I should ask them to change it. When I mentioned that I got glared at so I kept quiet and guess what…my BP Has gone up slightly, but certainly not in a danger level and not anything to worry about! My sample was clear as well and I’ve pretty much just put on the weight the baby has! (His weight plus the extra fluid!!!)

Then it was back into the waiting room…I really must learn to take a book with me (mine was in the boot of my car!) before I went in to see the Diabetes team. They are still quite happy/pleased with me and I’m staying on Metformin and still don’t have to inject insulin yet. It may still happen before he is born but I’m hopeful it won’t and I’m trying to be good… OK so it doesn’t always happen, but I am trying! Once I’d had a quick chat and they’d checked my results book it was back to the waiting room which was rapidly overfilling and far too hot. Plus a small boy was throwing himself onto the floor at very regular intervals (I think he was bored) and making a racket, added to by hi mother threatening him with an almost endless stream of ‘I’ll take….away’ which he proceeded to ignore!

The midwife came out every so often to try and find extra Drs and at about 11.45 one very smart man in a suit dashed in. The first bundle of files he grabbed was massive and the woman sat next to me declared it was hers….nope, it was mine! My Maternity file is now about 8 inches thick, possible more and there was no way the poor man could hope to plough through it all quickly, but he stuck mainly to my hand held notes – very wise!

They are quite happy with my and the boys progress and after a quick listen to his heart and him trying to kick to consultant again! I was allowed to escape! After having a quick Braxton Hicks Contraction which wasn’t fun but at least I had someone there telling me what was happening! I know 2 people who weren’t impressed by it and one of them spent most of the rest of the day kicking me to prove how annoyed he was! At least I had a more successful visit that one woman who was taken away on a trolley as she was showing distinct signs of pre-eclampsia…having watched Holby last night which showed exactly that I’m relieved I’ve stopped showing any signs now, I don’t want to be rushed in for an emergency C-Section so I’ve also suggested to Andy that he comes to my appointments from now on – I don’t want to go through that on my own!!

I’m very aware how tired I am now. Last night I headed to bed at around 10 – which is about as late as I can go. Andy fell asleep on the sofa and finally appeared at just after 2.00am. I wasn’t impressed, especially considering earlier comments about how huge I’m getting…and had woken up – just after he got into bed someone else woke up too and proceeded to demonstrate just how good he is at kicking…his father felt it for a while then rolled over and started snoring, I wish I could do that but rolling over just seems to make him kick more…

Another thing I’m aiming for is keeping calm…so filling the car with petrol is not the way to go. In Dover as I was leaving last night it was 121.9 – which it has been for days. I decided to wait until I got back to Ashford, huge mistake, Sainsburys was the same price so £30+ later I had a full tank and a rather stressed feeling, at this rate my son won’t be learning to drive as it will be something not many people do once he grows up as nobody will be able to afford fuel.. I also don’t see how we will be able to take him overseas to places like WDW as the fuel price is going to have to impact flights soon too. I was almost relieved to hear that the Freight Transport lot are finally getting wound up about fuel prices – about time. It is hardly an election issue as far as I can see and I think it should be. On Sunday Sainsburys was 120.9, but Tuesday it was 121.9, I know the pound is currently weak but I can’t see how the increase, within 2 days, can be justified. I want someone to explain it to me in language I can understand and also tell me what they are planning to do about it… before I have to remortgage the house simply to drive to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment