Sunday 24 March 2013

Mind Wandering Thoughts

This being out work is giving me far too much time to think... Mikey fills up as much time as he can and I am, most of the time, loving having time with him as he is changing and growing so quickly right now.But me being me I am also thinking far too much.

When I left school at 17 (I was one of the youngest in my year) I decided I had had enough of being in a classroom setting being talked at. If I'm honest I really wasn't old enough at that time to cope/survive University and the fact the my Mum wanted me to go as she was never given the opportunity was enough to make me dig my heels in and refuse to go. My Dad was very understanding but pointed out that if I wasn't going I needed to find a job...as instructed I did and started at Royal Insurance in Maidstone in September 1989. I started in Accounts on the MPP section looking after the Brighton Branch (MPP = monthly payment plan, or direct debits in English) For some reason vague memories of that time are popping back into my head, it really isn't important that I remember Brighton was Branch 304, Kingston 406, Maidstone 311 and Croydon 415. There was another branch but I can't remember the number so it really wasn't important!! (The branch was Canterbury and was the only office other than Maidstone that I worked in!)while things I had forgotten are popping into my head maybe I should record them before I forget them again!

But in the meantime, going back to the 17  year old me (A frightening image) today I have been thinking about the course opportunities I turned down, and my stupid stubbornness (If that is a word!! I really need some more education) and ( seem to have reached the decision that I want to study again. At the moment I don't know what I want to study, just that I want to! But I have taken the first step and sent off for the OU prospectus and I can start seriously thinking and I'm aiming for a spring 2014 start if I can sort out the finances etc for it. At the moment I'm torn 3 ways, History if I can find a Tudor Course, Psychology or English Lit. But seeing as the place I got was for Engineering it could all change again!!

As well as cost I need to carefully look at the time I'll need to set aside for study, I don't want Andy and Mikey to suffer for my selfish desires. I know I'm looking back with darkly rose tinted glasses but I did enjoy the study involved with my A-Levels, although I have also remembered that I still owe Mrs Seggery an essay on the US Legal System and the set up of the Judiciary from State to state and also Federally. (Did I mention my brain was being weird beyond weird now!!!!) my original plan at 18 was to do Business Studies, but after some of my business experiences over the last 20 or so years and especially in the last few weeks I would prefer to study something I'm not doing all day at work!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment