Sunday 10 March 2013

Further Update

Life has been rather manic this week! Unfortunately it started on a bit if a downward move. I spent most of Monday e-mailing loads of stuff to the Agency ready for all the checks Verifone needed to be done. Once they had all gone, including the form for my CRB check which had to be sent rather than going quickly by e-mail, I relaxed and had some quality time with my son who seemed to feel his Disney Junior comic is better in a loose leaf format for some reason...I really can't understand how the toddler version (or the adult version) of the male brain works, and to be honest I'm not sure I want to!!!

Tuesday appeared, bright and rather nice, I sent over yet more documents and got on with my day with Mikey, but just as Andy got home I got a call from the Agency to tell me that the job at Verifone had totally fallen through. It appears to all be down to internal Politics, a previous employee who had left to go travelling had stayed in touch with their previous direct line manger who had agreed to give them the credit control job I was offered the Friday before. This Manager was in charge of credit control in the UK owned firm, but has been replaced by the new US owners, I can only imagine that Mahanna doesn't yet feel secure enough to over ride the decision and I really don't envy her taking on a team who just want to over ride her decisions...I have been in that position and the stress nearly killed me. My agency weren't too impressed wither - they had paid out for the credit and CRB checks and as I wasn't now being appointed they have no way to reclaim their costs. Somehow I doubt they will ever agree to act on behalf of Verifone again. As our conversation was ending Paul mentioned he was also recruiting for another 6 month contract, unfortunately not as close to home but a similar salary and could he send my CV? I had no reason to say no (I still need a job) so agreed and was told I probably wouldn't hear until sometime next week if they want to interview me.

Wednesday was not a good day as I was, in theory, starting work on Thursday but now had nothing to do but start job hunting yet again. Mid morning I got a call from the Agency, I had got an interview on Friday at 12.30. I agreed then started thinking about what to do with Mikey - not exactly a professional move to take him with me! Thankfully Nanny & Grandad were available and that suited Mikey down to the ground! Luckily this only gave me 2 days to wind myself up, and on Thursday Mikey was in a totally adorable mood and happily ate whatever he could get hold of! We had a really good time together and I got lots of cuddles - something I never say no to!!

Friday morning was slightly manic as my interviewed was moved forward to 12 and I needed to get Mikey to Medway before 11.15 when Nanny was off for  hairdressers appointment. The weather was yucky, wet and getting more and more foggy the nearer I got to Nanny and Grandad. Bless him, Mikey had filled is nappy on the trip over so my first job was to change a nappy whilst trying to keep a black suit clean! For once he didn't wriggle too much and he was soon redressed and busy plying with the Toys Nanny had brought downstairs interspersed with trips up to my old room to find more toys! We all left at approx 11.15, me to find South East Water in Snodland, and Mikey and Grandad to drop Nanny at the hairdressers and then go to see Aunty Nicky!

My trip to Snodland was pretty uneventful, but very foggy and far to many white and silver car drivers seem to have forgotten to put lights on - complete imbeciles. I found to office, but the carpark was totally full so I soon found a space on the road and wandered back to reception through the rain and dampness. I was 10-15 minutes early and a lady from HR took me over to the building the interviews were happening in and the candidate before me had already finished so I went in early. To be honest I don't feel I interviewed very well as I was too aware of how much we needed me to get this job - also I had assumed this would be credit control for corporate customers, but it wasn't, it is for private customers, last time I dealt with direct customers was my first job and Royal Insurance (and a few at URS, but they were mostly insane, I never got any sense out of them!!) I was out by 12.20 so called the Agency back to report that I didn't feel it went well and  I didn't feel I had interviewed well at all... Including a bad case of mouth like a desert which made speaking tough! Paul said he would let them know I didn't feel I had interviewed well then they went back to him. So I headed back to Walderslade to find Mikey and have some lunch. As the Fog seemed to be getting thicker Nanny didn't want us leaving too late so at around 2.30 we were trying to get Mikey to put his coat on I noticed my phone was receiving a call. It turned out to be Paul - I was offered the Job!! It turned out all the candidates were from his Agency and I was the only one who hadn't felt it went well!! Denise had asked Paul to contact me first and I assume there was a 2nd, 3rd etc choice if I turned it down...Needless to say I didn't,  and I start next Wednesday! I have now decided that I am only accepting future interviews on Fridays!By the time we got home I decided I was going to have a couple of hours feeling smug! I had beaten 4 other candidates as well qualified as me and the feedback I had been given was rather nice. It isn't often that I feel happy about something I've done or achieved so I decided to make the most of it!

So now Mikey and I have 2  more days together then he is back to Debbie for 4 days a week and Nanny & Grandad for 1 day, he is also going to start potty training now as both Debbie and I have noticed lots of signs that he is ready. And the thought of being nappy free and travelling a little lighter also appeals!!

No comments:

Post a Comment