Sunday 12 September 2010

A & E...ER....Casualty....ED

I've just spent most of this morning in William Harvey as a patient of one of the above...whichever name is being used right now!

As I was walking out of the osteopaths office on Thursday I went over on my ankle, being me I pretty much ignored it and for the last few days the pain has increased until this morning when I could just about stand but walking was a real NO!

Dave kindly drove me ot the hospital so Mikey and Daddy stayed put! On arrival he blagged a wheelchair (Or I'd still be walking in to be honest) and I checked in and prepared myself for a long wait and some serious people watching! THe waiting area seemed pretty full and there was a steady stream of customers arriving - many seemed to be football injuries of the clashed heads and copious bleeding type... which didnt help me when another customer also in a wheel chair sat opposite me and proceeded to try to make herself throw up I nearly did just that for her from the noise she was making...

The staff we on fast forward mode today and I was called in very quickly and despatched for x-rays. I'd announced yesterday nothign was broken...it hurt rather than grated the way it did when I did break it! On arrival at x-ray I was taken straight in and 4 shots later it was all done and I was wheeled back to 'minors'
As predicted I haven't broken anything but I have torn the ligaments in and around my left ankle...which as he nurse happily pointed out will hurt more than breaking my ankle! Not exactly what I wanted to hear if I'm truthful! I was quickly issued with a pair of crutches (I only gave my last pair back earlier this year!) and shown how to walk and support my damaged foot correctly. I then returned to the waiting area to phone Andy to ask to be collected  - easier said than done as he was feeding and changing Mikey so couldn't answer the phone! Once I got hold of him I escaped outside to the Ambulance bay to wait and get some freash air (and gaze at the air ambulance paramedics and pilot.... men in uniform, guaranteed to make a Heather feel much better!!)

Mikey was happily staying at home with Emma so it made Andy's trip to collect me much easier! He's also already spoken to my Mum and I'm going to work with him tomorrow and Mikey and I are spending the day with my parents! Cuts down the trips up and down stairs and so reduces stress on my ankle!

No comments:

Post a Comment