Friday 11 June 2010

Becoming more real...

Andy had a day off today so this morning I phoned the hospital to try to get a tour of the labour/maternity wards sorted out. It took a while to get hold of the midwife I needed to talk to but as it was only 2 of us it was quickly agreed we could go straight in to have a look!

Once we got buzzed into the delivery suite we met a very nice lady, I have no idea what her name is but unfortunately she isn't on duty next weekend. At least we now know where we are going and it has been suggested we arrive at nearer to 7.45 as 7.30 is handover time and no Drs/Consultants will be around to decide how they are going to proceed once we're there! The delivery rooms look really nice and actually quite comfortable, they are painted either green, yellow or lilac...I'd prefer any except the last! Bit too feminine for me to be honest and far too close to pink! It is also reassuring how close the rooms are to the theatre bit if they are needed for any reason (I'm hoping I won't get to see that bit at all! - Although I would like to see Andy dressed in scrubs!)

Once we'd had a quick look in Maternity (it was pretty much full!) we retired to the coffee shop as I was hungry and aching! The midwife had been a little concerned I was going to start something early but to be honest at the moment every part of me aches and is extremely painful... he is great at sticking his elbows out as he spins on his head...bless him! I just hope he doesn't miss the spinning sensation too much! As I have no idea how we can even hope to recreate that for him once he's out...and I'm sure Health Visitors will frown upon head spinning as well!

My main feeling right now is how close and real it is all feeling now... but having seen a very pregnant woman walking up the hospital car park dragging a toddler by the hand whilst smoking heavily I've decided I am more than capable of doing this - and all I want to do now is cuddle my baby for the first time. I'm not sure if anyone else will be allowed to, I may let Andy have a cuddle, but I've been waiting for years for this to happen and having thought it never would I know I'm going to have real trouble ever letting go of him...

No comments:

Post a Comment