Monday 24 September 2012

S.A.D. Here I come

We've had a pretty good weekend...Mikey certainly thought so! We headed to Broadstairs again as Mikey is of the opinion that the place is wonderful and Grandad is happy to splash around in the sea with him - what more can a 2 year old ask for!?!?! We got there around lunch time so quickly fed the small sand monster who quickly demolished his fish fingers and Ketchup before we had a salmon roll and headed for the beach. This showed the true advantage of pushchairs as the mat and blanket + towels and a bucket and Spade were quickly stored underneath the seat and we rolled off down the hill! Our spot was quickly staked and Mikey was off. Thankfully this time he did remember to take his shoes off at least but in his first return trip to demolish a sandcastle or two he was a tad damp (he had tried to sit down but Grandad wouldn't let him!) While demolition was in progress Grandad filled the bucket and buried it in the sand so it couldn't be picked up...this led to a fair amount of splashing and wobbling stood on one leg while he tried to de-sand each foot...he seemed to have plenty of sandy feet so this took some time and then Grandad started dropping pebbles etc in from a great height to even more splashing occurred! This appeared to be greeted as the best game ever and the shorts were soon totally drenched and sand covered whilst sand was shovelled into the water too.

At this point I gave up and removed the shorts and Nappy so we at least stood a chance of keeping that dry for the trip home! Not sure M was too keen to start with but soon was heading back to the sea with Grandad in tow! Plus eyeing up the boats which were heading out and the surf school who seemed to be having a wonderful time...I wonder what age I can sign him up for that??? The weather was wonderful, a light breeze so the temperature was perfect for me at least! Once it did start to get cooler we extracted Mikey from the sand and rinsed him off as well as we could, stuck his nappy back on and then wrapped him in a towel and stuck him back in his pushchair. He seemed to find this rather strange yet amusing - I am never going to understand the way this child thinks!

Once back at the house he had a shower...I think the screams would have been heard the other side of the UK! Demolished some biscuits (savoury and sweet!) and ran around like a lunatic, occasionally stopping if Disney Junior caught his eye! At 6 we tried to do the calming down ting with his milk and cuddles, but he wasn't having any of it and even when he went to bed he was protesting that he wasn't tired!

Saturday evening was spent at the Tartar Frigate for dinner... I though it was going to be a typical pub type dining room...but there were crisp white table clothes, napkins and gleaming silver...very civilised and very impressive - the boy did well choosing there! Having already had a glass of wine before we left I sort of stuck to that with a spritzer, Andy had Coke!! I think he was a tad perturbed by the lack of butter with the bread, but soon got the hang of the oil and vinegar! My starter was a Seafood Chowder...delicious but about 3 times as much as I needed! It had prawns, salmon, white fish and I think mussels in it along with potatoes, bacon and onions and Garlic toast on the side along with a pot of pink stuff and 2 unpeeled prawns (which Any had) In Florida I had only ever had a cup of Clam Chowder - far smaller than the small ocean I was given - I think the waitress was worried I didn't like it as there was no way I could finish it and also my main course! Andy had smoked salmon...again with unpeeled prawns but he seemed to be enjoying ripping them apart!

My main course was slow roast pork, on a bed of apple mash with a cream mustard sauce and crackling... The crackling was fantastic, the apple mash is going to lead to some experiments at home and the mustard sauce was subtle enough to not overpower the pork...which fell apart as you cut it and was moist and tender. Andy had steak and I was allowed a taste - wonderful. I wasn't so generous as I was enjoying mine far too much. I looked at the desserts going to other tables - they looked amazing but there was no way I could eat one and I was enjoying the flavours I had already had to much to add any more to the mix! I was slightly grateful for the walk back up the hill...but as I was wearing heels I was trailing way behind Andy!

I have got a load of photos of the beach...will upload some soon!

Driving home yesterday was no fun...sometimes you could almost see the car in front through the spray, but not often. Today is as bad, if not worse and strong winds are predicted for this afternoon. As I am picking Mikey up I am not going to be driving along my usual narrow, tree lined route, instead I'm heading straight for the motor way and up the A229! Hopefully avoiding as many trees as possible! I'm just fed up that is hasn't really got light yet...I have a feeling Saturday was it, the sun will be back next Spring. Getting up this morning it wasn't light enough for me to kick into get up mode, Mikey was fine and busy singing whilst I staggered to the bath room!

No comments:

Post a Comment