Thursday 13 September 2012

End of Summer

As the kids (except for certain small persons) have gone back to school, summer appears to have returned! I have discovered that sat at my desk with the window open provides a lovely sunny aspect and a most refreshing breeze. Which is a good thing as we really are in the middle of nowhere! One of my routes home involves wing mirrors being folded in to enable me to drive as close the the hedgerows as possible as the local, 'normal' people just stick to the middle of the road and seem to think if they go fast enough they will miss you! One large black scrape on my nice white wing mirror disproved this theory, but good old Dad cam to the rescue and polished it out for me and now I can't find it! The amount of dead bugs on my car also are good at hiding any scratches I pick up during my communion with various hedges!

Mikey has a new craze at the moment....He has discovered the fun you can have with Alphabet Flash Cards. Once you work out it is close to bed time you clamber (or rock climb) onto Mummy's lap and request 'Cards' which buys you an extra few minutes before Daddy insists it is bedtime (Mummy doesn't cook dinner until all toddlers are in bed!) The pictures on the cards are, on the whole, pretty obvious...Mikey adores them as B=Bus, at the moment his joint favourite vehicle along with Tractors! If you drive anywhere with my child you have to be prepared for shouts of joy every time he sees a bus! The big problem we are having at the moment is animal classification...In this set C=Cow... or in our house Goat! As does M=Mouse, also Goat, but we are fine with G=Goat, we get that right every time! For some reason last night R=Rabbit was just Miaow and P=Panda is met with a blank stare! It appears that the animal kingdom is now classified as Goat, Cat and Fish. If he can't fit a picture into any of those 3 it doesn't exist!

I blame his grandfather who have never told either of his grandsons the correct name for any animal! And also is of the opinion that when compared to Chemistry and Physics, Biology is not a real science! Which is probably why I often got sent for walks during biology lessons as I was so good at fainting during them...But I enjoyed both Chemistry and Physics and managed to pass O'Levels in both! But I did get extra revision tuition for both, usually when Moonlighting was on so my knowledge was strangely combined with Bruce Willis and Cybil Shepherd! But History was even stranger - the industrial Revolution was revised to Wagner! So singing in my head did bring dates etc back, but luckily nobody ever heard me doing it! My physics knowledge now is pretty much limited to the water at the bottom of ponds that are frozen often staying at 4c so fish can survive if the depth is right...but I have no clue how deep etc it must be - I can just image the diagram I drew 24 years ago...I can also remember one of Puck's speeches from 'A Midsummer Nights Dream' as we have to learn quotes and passages I think I got it into every essay I ever wrote! A-Level was easier, they let us take the texts in with us(which seeing as we read Chaucer in the original English was very helpful)!! But I do find it odd that after 24 years and everything my poor brain has been put through I still remember that line , but I don't remember my wedding...

Right now I have no idea what we are going to get up to this weekend...so far this week Mikey has been to Brockhill where he got amazingly dirty and found what is possibly the best slide in the world...I'm not sure how I can compete and beat that! We may go into town and try to find some different flash cards as I'm sure he is just learning the one's he has now and I'd like to work on a few more things and names with him. I am going to get him speaking English rather than Mikey... We are still awaiting his follow up speech therapy appointment and I would love to take him back and show them just what we have achieved without their help! I need to prove I am a good Mum to them and to myself I suppose. His recent bug has made me question myself a bit, although quite how I can protect him from whatever he had is beyond me! Plus I know I'm biased, but I think my little one is clever and I want to prove that to other people too. We had a bit of a delayed start when he was born, and it has taken a while to get walking sorted out, but now we are ready to start plotting world domination, I'm sure he will start recruiting to his cause soon enough!

No comments:

Post a Comment