Tuesday 13 November 2012

A step into an unknown place....

Yesterday, as well as using me as a mummy mattress, which he hasn't done for ages, Mikey announced he needed a wee and wanted his potty! I was slightly flabbergasted and went into a minor panic mode while I looked frantically for his potty and tried to get him within my reach! We explained (for me, calmly) that he needed to pull his trousers down and take off his nappy. Unluckily he seemed to find this concept rather unwelcome and once we had stripped him down to the necessary, he gingerly sat, or hovered, over the potty and screamed! At this point we decided that retreat was our best option and found a new nappy and pulled his trousers back up. At which point he triumphantly sat happily on the potty!

I mentioned this 'experience' to Debbie today and she (having been through this before) decided that she would sit him on a potty each time she changed him. I did warn her about the screams as I like her and don't want her to decide that she is only taking school age children! I have received a text this morning advising he will only sit on the potty with his trousers on (again). Maybe this is going to take longer than I thought and I have a feeling it will also involve lots of laundry! But I also think it may be time to get some pull ups rather than 'normal' nappies so he can get used to everything involved with the process - and the standing up part is down to his father to teach him - after all I have no knowledge or experience of it!!

At the moment I'm trying to convince myself I'm feeling better. I was off work last week with a virus (for once I was happy with the diagnosis as it meant no more antibiotics!) I started to feel better last Friday and had a chat with a Dr (as usual no chance of an appointment) and was given some stuff to help reduce the symptoms. Yesterday I was feeling OK until I got to work and realised my glasses were 30 miles away in Ashford! So there was plenty squinting etc and I got through the day. This morning was different. I woke up feeling decidedly queasy, if I didn't know it was impossible I would have gone down the morning sickness route. I made it to work somehow (I have no real recollection of coming off the M20 and getting here!) and decided to sit quietly until I felt better and the world stopped spinning around me. That didn't happen very quickly but I did make it to the bathroom before the spinning took real effect. I guess I can see now why breakfast might have been a good idea rather than using stomach acid. After I'd cleaned up I grabbed a glass of water and wobbled back to my desk - I have now discovered that Tic Tacs are a great pick you up and help your mouth feel a whole lot fresher! Those little green and orange ovals kept me going this morning! At this point I decided to just get stuck into something and try to ignore the feeling that I was going to fall off my chair and the pains in my left side (whomever was stabbing a voodoo doll of me, please stop - it hurts!) at least kept me awake while I shivered. If this is a virus it really should be cultured and would soon bring most disputes to an end very quickly - provided they find a way to make it go away! At the moment I'm trying the cup a soup and sandwich cure! And my follow that up with the Kitkat I've been carrying around for a while! Actually, thinking about it I may well have the cure...Andy and I were both ill at the start of last week but Mikey has been fine...wasn't that how penicillin was discovered??? Or maybe his formula milk may have previously unknown protective qualities!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment